Paul advises on dispute resolution in the areas of:
- Banking and Financial Services;
- Insolvency and Corporate Recovery;
- Contract and Property Disputes;
- Debt Recovery;
- Negligence claims.
Paul has experience acting for and against financial institutions in all aspects of enforcement, commercial litigation and dispute resolution. Paul’s clients include, the National Asset Management Agency, in addition to leading domestic and international financial institutions.
Paul has experience representing high profile accountancy firms and private clients in all aspects of corporate recovery. His experience includes; Examinerships, liquidations, receiverships, bankruptcy, director and shareholder responsibilities and general corporate governance matters.
Experience and Representative Cases
- Successfully obtained injunction for Receiver of licensed premises pertaining to the unlawful occupation of premises by former tenant;
- Responsible for the fixed charge receivership portfolio of a large foreign investment fund pertaining to domestic assets;
- Acted for NAMA in successfully ejecting tenant who occupied land under an invalid agreement. The successful proceedings resulted in the return of profitable land to NAMA for their benefit;
- Successful settlement of litigation pertaining to disputed deposit monies held by a Receiver on behalf of NAMA;
- Various successful negotiations with financial institutions on behalf of a private clients resulting in agreements being put in place whereby the clients retain solvency and several key assets;
- Successfully negotiated discounted settlement for private client in relation to secured property transferred from financial institution to third party American Fund. The discovery of defective security and related claims owing to our client resulted in favourable discount being obtained;
- Generally advising financial institutions, Receivers and private clients on enforcement of securities;
- Acted for both the Examiner and distressed creditors in multiple Examinership proceedings related to distressed companies in a variety of industries, including, construction, logistics, property, hotel, retail and licensed premises;
- Acted in numerous liquidations for both insolvency practitioners and distressed creditors in High Court and Voluntary Liquidations, in addition to Restriction Proceedings;
- The setting of EU law principle pertaining to the appointment of a liquidator over the Irish Branch of a UK company despite the fact that Administrators were already in situ. Please see article outling matter: http://bit.ly/1p6woKj and link to published written judgment: http://bit.ly/1vLGZS6
- The presentation of Bankruptcy petitions on behalf of the Revenue Commissioners and general client advices pertaining to Personal Insolvency;
- Successful fraudulent trading and improper disposition of company assets litigation taken against former company directors;
- Management of complex litigation in relation to breach of multi million euro contract, including vast discovery process which resulted in success at the trial of the matter for the client;
- Successful settlement of shareholder dispute proceedings resulting in significant pay out being recovered by the director, client;
- Successful defence of insurance litigation claim against the client who acted as a broker to a disputed policy;
Education and Experience
Paul is a graduate of University College Dublin, where he obtained a Bachelor of Business and Legal Studies. Paul joined Lavelle Solicitors having worked within the National Asset Management Agency Unit of a prominent financial institution, in addition to the restructuring and corporate recovery department of an industry leading audit and advisory practice. Paul was admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in January 2009, in addition to qualifying in England and Wales in 2010. Paul has also completed the Law Society of Ireland’s Diploma in Corporate Law and Governance.