Ciarán advises on dispute resolution in the areas of:
- Solicitors Negligence
- Professional Negligence
- Shareholder, Director and Partnership Disputes
- Insurance Disputes
- Probate Disputes
- Banking and Financial Services
- Property and Building Disputes
Ciarán has experience mediating, litigating and arbitrating disputes.
Prior to joining Lavelle in 2005, Ciarán spent two years working as a lawyer with the United Nations Compensation Commission in Geneva, Switzerland where he specialised in corporate claims.
Experience and Representative Cases
- Acting for Financial Institutions and individual clients in professional negligence actions against Solicitors, Accountants, Architects and Engineers.
- Acting for companies and individual clients in actions against insurance and reinsurance companies where cover has been rejected and claims unfairly denied.
- Acted in various shareholder, director and partnership disputes.
- Acting for an oil and gas exploration company in a high value breach of contract and misrepresentation claim.
- Acted for the personal representatives of an estate in a High Court action claiming damages for waste and wrongful conversion.
- Acted for a group of high net worth investors in a High Court negligence action against a major Stockbroking firm.
- Acted for the personal representatives of an estate in injunctive proceedings restraining a party from interfering with the personal representatives in the exercise of their duties as executors of the estate under the Succession Act 1965.
- Acting for individual clients in boundary disputes, planning disputes, nuisance actions, trespass and property damage claims
- Acted for NAMA in successfully obtaining an injunction restraining a public auction from proceeding which would have affected NAMA’s interest in certain properties.
- Acting for NAMA and Financial Institutions in proceedings to reverse fraudulent asset transfers.
- Acted for the exclusive holiday home development, Ballinacarrig Park Club Limited (“Ballinacarrig”) and successfully obtained an Order that the Landlord was not entitled to an order for possession or to damages as claimed against Ballinacarrig. The Court further ruled that an interlocutory injunction granted against Ballinacarrig was wrongfully obtained.
- Acted for the United States Trustee in Bankruptcy in the bankruptcy of David Drumm and successfully obtained an Order in Aid in the High Court allowing the US bankruptcy to be recognised in Ireland. This was the first application of it’s kind in Ireland.
- Acted for a property developer in a high profile Commercial Court case against ACC Bank Plc. The High Court awarded the developer €4.76m in damages for losses suffered as a result of ACC losing the title deeds to certain properties. This landmark decision created new case law in respect of a mortgagee’s duty of care to a mortgagor.
- Acting for Financial Institutions in appointment of receivers and repossession of properties.
- Acting for Fred Muwema, a prominent lawyer in Uganda in High Court proceedings against Facebook – Read More
Ciarán graduated from University College Cork with a Bachelor of Civil Law Degree (BCL) and from the University of Limerick with a Master of Laws in European Law (LLM). Ciarán also holds a Diploma in Employment Law and a Professional Certificate in Compliance from the Institute of Bankers.
- The Law Society of Ireland
- The Irish Society of Insolvency Practitioners
- The Institute of Bankers in Ireland
- The Association of Compliance Officers in Ireland
- The British Irish Chamber of Commerce