His areas of expertise include the financial, healthcare, insurance and construction sectors. Mark has a proven record of successful dispute resolution in the High Court, Supreme Court, Circuit and District Courts, as well as Workplace Relations Commission and other specialist tribunals and commissions.
Marc also advises in private client, personal injury and medical negligence law.
Marc also heads up the Employment & Pensions Law Groups. He is an experienced practitioner at the Employment Appeals Tribunal, the Labour Court, the Equality Tribunal and represents both employers and employees in the wide range of employment forums.
Marc has experience in a broad range of commercial and private client litigation including:
- Shareholder and Director Disputes
- Employment relationship, including pension schemes and employee benefits
- Intellectual Property Disputes
- Probate Disputes
- Professional Negligence
Marc advises clients in all aspects of Employment Law and Human Resources and acts for a wide range of domestic and multinational clients and also the public and private sectors. Specialist areas include:
- Wrongful & Unfair Dismissal
- Business Acquisitions
- Transfer of Undertakings
- Service Agreements
- Collective Redundancies
- Redundancy Packages
- Bullying and Harassment
- Stress at Work
It is with the benefit of practical experience in the complex and constantly changing area of Employment Rights that Marc is uniquely placed to advise employees in relation to what often are difficult circumstances regarding their redundancy and termination packages.
Marc also advises clients on the establishment of employee pension schemes and the reorganisation of existing pension arrangements.
As a CEDR accredited mediator, Marc recognises mediation as a real and effective alternative to litigation. Marc manages the firm’s IT development and has overseen the ongoing commitment the firm has made to technology, including the case management system.
During his career, Marc has acted in a number of high-profile cases including:
- Provides ongoing wide range advices regarding employee issues including redundancy, disciplinary issues, leave and other matters to a financial institution.
- Represented a UK owned Pharmaceutical Distributor at a lengthy hearing before the Employment Appeals Tribunal in relation to a claim by a former Managing Director.
- Advised a number of senior Directors of financial institutions, in relation to their exit from their positions.
- Settled High Court litigation for 30 plus former employees of a major international transport company in relation to their pension entitlements.
- Has provided advice for foreign employers looking to invest in Ireland and also in relation to employment issues that arise in commercial transactions.
Marc is a graduate of Trinity College and has been with Lavelle since qualifying as a Solicitor in 1988.
Qualifications and Memberships
- Committee Member – Law Society of Ireland’s Employment & Equality Law Committee
Member – The Employment Law Association of Ireland
Member – European Employment Lawyers Association
Qualified Mediator – Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution
Diploma in Employment Law – Law Society of Ireland
On the panel of lawyers approved by the anti-bullying Centre at Trinity College
Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales